A proposal for a definitive URL linc source site

From: Sellam Ismail <foo_at_siconic.com>
Date: Sat Mar 2 17:38:30 2002

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Lawrence Walker wrote:

> The problem is the common problem on the net of too much information.
> Sellams site is a case in point, and IINM my site-list from T3C served
> as a source for his some of his list. The multitude of sites is just too
> overwhelming.

I've been really want to add some intelligence to the VCF Link Library:

http://www.vintage.org/cgi-bin/links.pl

I want to eventually turn it into a search engine for classic computer
sites, where it will target the sites listed in the library and get some
keywords from them to drive a search engine. So if you wanted to find
info on, say, the C64 disk format, instead of having to check through
every Commodore link, you would ideally be able to plug that into the
search engine and it would point you to the site.

That being pitched, Google seems to do a pretty good job of finding stuff
for you on the first try.

> Sellams site would likely be the best place to list such a thing as it
> is well- known and would likely need only a minimum of re-organisation.

I'm game for hosting it.

> The main thing would be that the listing was the authoritive site in the
> opinion of the list, and save a collector from tedius Google searches.
> Possibly even a rating system could be used.

I'm sure rankings could be automated using a Google-like mechanism, i.e.
sites with the most links TO them will receive top ranking and be
considered the "definitive site".

Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *