Shipping Big Iron & Rail Right-Of-Way Abandonment

From: Sellam Ismail <foo_at_siconic.com>
Date: Tue Mar 5 03:21:49 2002

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Brian Chase wrote:

> Also, to keep things on topic, does BART still use any PDP-8 systems? I
> read someplace, probably a few years ago now, that they used PDP-8s for
> their control systems.

They were supposedly all replaced in the early 1990s. My guess is that
they may have some systems still warehoused. I used to see this one guy
at the local hamfests who was the scruffiest, grungiest, most unpleasant
looking throwback from the early 1970s you'd ever laid eyes on, who I
was told supposedly was a computer technician for BART. So one day I
asked him about the PDP-8s and he said they were long gone (this was
probably in 1999 or thereabouts). I related this story to a fellow
collector who speculated that this guy may not want people to know there
are still PDP-8s somewhere in BART storage, which is a good point.

I knew the guy who re-designed the software for the marquees at the
stations in the early 1990s, and he said he they were driven by PDP-8
systems.

So who knows :)

Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *