OpenSTEP for VMS

From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo_at_er-grp.com>
Date: Wed Mar 6 01:05:24 2002

Jeff Hellige said:
>>Intel/PC, Sun Sparc, and I think PA-RISC. I believe NeXTSTEP 3.3 was
>>the last version to support NeXT black hardware. The OpenSTEP name
>
> Openstep 4.2 still supports the black hardware though most
> people I've known running NeXT hardware have been running NS 3.3. This
> could partly be due to Apple giving it away to NeXT hardware owners in
> '99. NS 3.3 definately supported NeXT, Intel, Sparc and HPPA-RISC.

NS 3.3 = i386, HP-PA, Sparc, m68k
OpenStep 4 = i386, m68k (HP-PA, Sparc? At least Sparc)

OpenStep 4 Runtimes were available for Solaris 2.5 and Windows NT. There
used to be a downloadable runtime kit (slightly corrupted) for Solaris on
peanuts.org.

The runtime ran on top of the original OS. If anyone has Sparcs running 2.5
or similar you might want to give it a go.

I just finished installing NS 3.3 on a HP 715/100. It's extremely fast
compared to a 68040_at_25MHz.
--
jht