Thinning the heard

From: John Chris Wren <jcwren_at_jcwren.com>
Date: Thu Mar 7 23:22:14 2002

        I can't say that I completely agree that FCFS is always fair. Some of us
live in front of our computers, and run mail checking every 3 minutes. Some
people have jobs that don't permit them to check their email more often,
such as the guy at the Circle-K, people who are on the road a lot during the
day, etc. And there's the whole issue of mailserver latency, something not
all of us have control over. It seems to take my messages over an hour
before I see them, whereas on a Yahoo! message board I use, they show up in
5 or 6 minutes.

        I would think that a lottery system would be more fair. Computer generate
a number, give anyone that's interested 48 hours to reply with a number, and
whomever gets closest with going over wins. Any other equally arbitrary
rule would work as well. An enterprising individual could even set up a web
page to help manage this.

        --John