urgent business/investment deal

From: James B. DiGriz <jbdigriz_at_dragonsweb.org>
Date: Fri Mar 15 08:40:43 2002

Sellam Ismail wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, minespower steel wrote:
>

>>VERY CONFIDENTIAL BUSINESS ATTENTION STRICTLY FOR YOU ONLY
>>
>>FROM THE DESK OF
>>ALHAJI USMAN YERIMA.
>>IKOYI, LAGOS.
>>PHONE;234-803-3088-100
>>BUSINESS ATTENTION.
>>URGENT BUSINESS DEAL
>>

> If the number of these Nigerian scam offers I get is any indication, we're
> now on a mailing list for these freaks and are doomed to receive at least
> 2-3 of these a week.
>
> Now it is really time to clamp down on non-subscriber posts. I mean for
> real. This is really getting annoying.
>
> Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival
> International Man of Intrigue and Danger http://www.vintage.org
>
> * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

Maybe you would find it addresses your annoyance more satisfactorily to
go to your nearest friendly local ambitious DA keen to to be seen as
tough on Internet fraud, and offer him or her this here low-hanging
fruit. Call in the FTC, FDIC, your bank manager, etc. and set up a
sting. Whatever. Then, when you find out who it is, and where they are,
let me know and I'll gladly go beat the living crap out of them.

However, annoying as spam may be, I don't see how that justifies turning
the list into a ghetto. Restricting access because it might be abused is
throwing the baby out with the bathwater. It punishes the innocent as
well as the guilty. That's just wrong, whatever you think about spam.
There's no valid reason for this list to be restricted this way.

It's also damaging. The people we want to reach are precisely those who
will frankly just not bother to offer old gear to be rescued if they
have to go to the trouble of subscribing.

Personally, I will unsubscribe if this happens.

Jay, are you using DCC? Vixie himself is endorsing it. It potentially
suffers the same objection, but it can be targeted with a lot more
accuracy and precision, at least in principle. If you need a checksum
source, I've got quite a nice collection here, too.

jbdigriz