DSQD Drives (Was: RE: Diags/Boot image for Altos 580)

From: Doc <doc_at_mdrconsult.com>
Date: Sun Mar 17 13:20:47 2002

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Marvin Johnston wrote:

> I just took a look at the docs for the Series 5 Altos computers and
> there is a repair ticket for a Mitsubishi M4853 Disk Drive. The floppy
> disk summary docs indicate that drive is a 5.25, HH, 720K, 96 TPI drive.

  So, this means I can make disks from image with a vanilla 5.25 1.2M
drive, on a Linux box, right? Assuming I have DSDD floppies and use the
correct device (/dev/fd0D720) with dd?
  Alternatively, is there any reason I couldn't temporarily move the
drive itself to a PC to build the disks?

> The CP/M version with my Altos 580 is 2.2 Licensed from Digital Research
> by Lambda Software (4 disks.) Each of the six disks I have are labeled
> double sided, double density, soft sectored. Of the two other disks, one
> is for the 580-20 and is labeled MPM/CPM for Altos 580-20, the other
> Altos Diags for model 580-x.

  Any chance you could image those for me? Maybe even scan the docs?

        Doc