CD-ROM on RT-11?

From: Doc <doc_at_mdrconsult.com>
Date: Mon Mar 18 14:43:49 2002

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Tom Leffingwell wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Jerome Fine wrote:
>
> > Also, while the normal ISO file structure probably will NOT
> > easily allow (if at all) RT-11 partitions to be written on 65536
> > block boundaries, for RT-11, that is essential.
>
> Why would you be using ISO? My plan was just to dd copy (with unix
> cdrecord) a bootable RT-11 SCSI disk to the CD. Assuming that if I had a
> bootable RT-11 SCSI disk as /dev/rz4c on a unix machine, with cdrecord, I
> would just do this:
>
> dd if=/dev/rz4c ibs=64k obs=64k | cdrecord -dev 3,5,0 -speed=2 -
>
> Will this work?

  I've done what I think are comparable burns with AIX install CDs and
MKCD (bootable CD backup; mksysb for CD-writers) disks, as well as
OpenVMS install CDs. As long as I set the blocksize to a factor of
EVERY blocksize the filesystem uses, it works very well. For instance,
the AIX BOS install CD has a 32k .toc block, apparently _between_ the
boot record and file blocks. The only thing that works is "bs=1"....
  AFAICT, cdrecord cares not at all what it writes to disk.

        Doc