Disassembling a Vaxstation 2000

From: Christopher Smith <csmith_at_amdocs.com>
Date: Mon Mar 18 17:17:34 2002

Common problem, I think.

> I've managed to get the case open, but... well, this
> is rather embarassing... I can't quite seem to figure
> out how to get the drive itself out.

It's not easy. You'll need to remove the screws
in the top of the mainboard, I think. The
mainboard should then "lift out" -- probably
front first, but it's been a while. Make sure
that you don't bend the board. The connectors
that stick out under the lip in the back of the
system tend to catch on things.

It will be connected to at least a power connector
and a cable for the disks. Disconnect those.
Remember to note their orientation.

The Ethernet board, and any ram expanders will be
snapped onto the main board with little plastic
parts. They'll lift right out with it.

All of this is from distant (a year or so) memory,
so make sure I'm telling you the right thing before
you try it ;)

Now, the floppy and hard disk will be attached to
the same set of metal plates, and those plates,
IIRC, are attached to the rails that hold the
drives in place. I think you need to detach the
metal drive-plates from the rails, and then take
the hard disk off once you have the pair of disks
dislodged from the inside of the machine.

IIRC, the power supply is "short" -- maybe half
the height of the system cabinet -- so you should
be able to get access to any screws you need to
take out to loosen the above-mentioned metal plates.

> I don't believe it is open at the moment, but I think
> the layout inside is something like this :
> ____________________
> ----Motherboard-----
> --------------------
> PS | Floppy
> | RD32 HD
> ____________________

Kind of like that... :)

> The drive is held in by at least a screw or two on the
> right-hand side - I can remove those, but it is still
> held in by another seeming inaccessible screw and / or
> the cabling hooked up to the back of it.

Again, take the mainboard out, and you'll have to
remove both drives at once. :)

Chris

Christopher Smith, Perl Developer
Amdocs - Champaign, IL

/usr/bin/perl -e '
print((~"\x95\xc4\xe3"^"Just Another Perl Hacker.")."\x08!\n");
'