Disassembling a Vaxstation 2000

From: Andy Berg <groovelists_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Mar 18 22:18:51 2002

Thanks Chris and Zane!!! :)

I managed to get the drives out without too much
complaining on part of the computer thanks to your
advice. Many thanks for your help! :)

The poor ST251 looks like it might be done in for...
Originally, it just clicked once when power was
applied + didn't spin up. Was able to get it to spin
up by lubing the bearings, but I think it has many
other issues. Fails a TEST 71 (disk verification
test). Attempting to BOOT using DUA0 as default has it
making a quiet buzzing noise for a few seconds...
then, tries to boot from ESA0, gives a ?54 RETRY,
tries ESA0 again, etc... Haven't quite gotten around
to setting up a network for it. (Could also be doing
something wrong, too - never had a chance to work with
any VAXen prior to this.)

Will peer about to see if I can find another MFM drive
'round here.

Thanks again for everything - you both made things
really easy. :)

Cheers,
Andy

--- Christopher Smith <csmith_at_amdocs.com> wrote:
<<Snip>>
> It will be connected to at least a power connector
> and a cable for the disks. Disconnect those.
> Remember to note their orientation.
>
> The Ethernet board, and any ram expanders will be
> snapped onto the main board with little plastic
> parts. They'll lift right out with it.
>
> All of this is from distant (a year or so) memory,
> so make sure I'm telling you the right thing before
> you try it ;)
>
> Now, the floppy and hard disk will be attached to
> the same set of metal plates, and those plates,
> IIRC, are attached to the rails that hold the
> drives in place. I think you need to detach the
> metal drive-plates from the rails, and then take
> the hard disk off once you have the pair of disks
> dislodged from the inside of the machine.
>
> IIRC, the power supply is "short" -- maybe half
> the height of the system cabinet -- so you should
> be able to get access to any screws you need to
> take out to loosen the above-mentioned metal plates.
<<Snip>>