ZX81 I/O ports

From: Glen Goodwin <acme_ent_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri Mar 22 22:33:55 2002

> From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
> You mena it's beyond the ingenuity of these people who connect up
> scanners/cameras/LCD panels/... to the ZX81 to add a serial port?

No, no, I meant a ZX81 doesn't have one built in. Of course we use the
Z80A-SIO (and -PIO). Modems were also commercially produced in the
mid-eighties which allowed a simple mod so they could also be used as
serial ports.

> I've not tried it, but I can see no good reason why you couldn't link up
> just about any common serial chip/UART to the expansion connector, and
> then buffer the outputs of that to/from RS232 levels.

It's been done any number of ways.

ZX-TEAM also has a ZX81-hosted BBS ;>)

Glen
0/0