ZX-81 Question

From: Hans Franke <Hans.Franke_at_mch20.sbs.de>
Date: Mon Mar 25 11:59:07 2002

> > A professional system, like Glen tells is quite nice, but you need
> > also some more knowledge about the pitfalls of a ZX. Start of with
> > the fun of a simple system, and if you're a late victim of the ZX
> > infection, then you'll soon expand into the ZX96 dimension.
> Back then I was kind of waiting for a better low cost machine than a
> ZX-80 when mine died ie: Real keyboard, real memory , floppy disk even .
> I was hoping for 68000 something but it never happened.

Well, Sinclair sold it and called it QL.

A 68008, running at 8 (?) MHz, (almost) Real Keyboard (at least as
good as most PC keyboards in the $10 range), Reak Memory (128K, as
much as the first Mac, but expandable to 640 or 900) and two tape
drives with ~100K each.

Furthermore: Serial Interface, Joystick Ports and a full figured
Network. As cream ontop of the cake a complete application suite
with Word Processing, Spreadsheet, Database and Business Graphics.

And all together at about 900 Mark (back than ~250 GBP). Lower
than all other comparable systems (in fact even lower than the
C64 in some shops)

Maybe check

http://www.uni-mainz.de/~roklein/ql/

for raw technical data or

http://www.soft.net.uk/dj/aboutql/aboutql.html

for quite detailed information

and just for the heck of it, there is the Q40 and Q60, a 68040/060
based QL compatible system with 40 to 80 MHz. See

http://www.q40.de/

Seams like the Germans have a hang for pushing old stuff beyond all
Linits (check the ZX-Team pages, or the Milan, as stat of the art
Atari ST follow up).

Gruss
H.

--
VCF Europa 3.0 am 27./28. April 2002 in Muenchen
http://www.vcfe.org/