Z80 BigBoard ID Needed

From: Allison <ajp166_at_bellatlantic.net>
Date: Thu Mar 28 07:37:19 2002

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>

>There's plenty of CP/M software out there. All you need to do is find one
of
>the mirrors of the late Tim Olmstead's unofficial CP/M site.

There are several still up, The last location of Tim's site is back up.

>original MSDOS' EDLIN. The editor of choice for CP/M would probably be
>WordStar, of which there are several versions for CP/M. It does come with
an

If you can find VEDIT, that is a very powerful screen editor with TECO macro
from the command mode.

>Select the editor you want, keeping in mind that little of this stuff is
much
>use without a hard disk, which is not "rocket science" to add, provided you
>can snag a drive of the CP/M era. IDE drives are a mite more trouble, as
are
>SCSI types, but it's all been done. The maximum size for a CP/M 2.2 (plain

IDE offers the easiest of the lot to get and interface if the board was hard
disk
impared.

>vanilla version) system is 8 MB, and you can only have as many as 16
drives,
>including the floppies.

Thats per logical drive. A larger hard disk can be partitioned.
Or run one of the CP/M clones like P2DOS, ZRDOS, SUPRBDOS
as these have 32mb or higher logical disk limits.

>My understanding is that if you have a 60 MB drive,
>you can stick all the software that was ever published for CP/M, including
>sources, on it and still have room left. Some folks disagree, but I almost

I'd agree, actually most of the good must have stuff will fit easily on a 10
to 20mb drive with room to spare. The WC CP/M CDrom was I think under
100mb and that had whole libraries of several SIGs.

>believe that. Somebody sent me a CD of CP/M stuff that purportedly
contained
>pretty much "everything" there was, and it was barely 10% utilized.
Several
>CD's have been published, but most have what amounts to multiple copies of
the
>same stuff on them, so their capacity is not representative of what you
might
>need storage-wise.

The Walnut Creek cdrom is by far the most complete and maybe 10% utilized.
It's out of print but copies can be had. For serious CP/M users and
collectors
it's a must have along with the archivers used (ark, ARC, LHA, LBR...etal).

>Another thing to keep in mind is that the BigBoard runs at just over 2 MHz
>(2.5?). I've got several but really haven't considered how fast they run
in
>the original version, because I'm into hot-rodding. The software versions
>have don't use mode-2 interrupts, so one wonders why the designer used
those
>awkward Z80 peripherals that do little more than ensure that you can't run
the
>CPU faster than the peripherals, even though the CPU is quite capable of
it.
>Of course, the fact that the entire board is out of the Mostek and Zilog
>app-notes might explain that.

4mhz should be doable with minor effort. faster is as Dick said hampered
by the lack of suitably fast Z80 peripherals.

Allison