DEC 3000-600

From: Doc <doc_at_mdrconsult.com>
Date: Thu Mar 28 10:06:16 2002

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 pat_at_cart-server.purdueriots.com wrote:

> Does anyone have the pinout for this? Or even better, does anyone have a
> pinout for both this and a Framebuffer Console cable that works with a
> VAXstation 3200 and 4-plane mono framebuffer- a BC18P? OR should I just
> try to plug it in? I want to get some sort of confirmation that it won't
> blow up my keyboard or DEC3000 first.

  The kbd/mouse dongle pinouts are posted on the web somewhere. Try
Googling "dec 3000/300x pinout" or something. I looked briefly last
night and can't find it, but it's out there.

> > > can I use a serial terminal instead?
> > Flip S3 on the back to force the machine to serial console. Have a look
> > at ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/dec-docs/index.html#alpha-sys-dec3000
> > --
>
> Which serial port should I use? The DB25-P or the MMJ jack?

  The 3000/300 doesn't have the S3, you just don't plug in a keyboard.
I believe the MMJ is the console port. Won't hurt a derned thing if you
get it wrong, though.
  One warning though, give it a few minutes before you decide you're on
the wrong port. My 3000/300x doesn't display the boot codes & testing
till it's all done which is a couple of minutes.

        Doc