DEC 3000-600

From: pat_at_cart-server.purdueriots.com <(pat_at_cart-server.purdueriots.com)>
Date: Wed Mar 27 17:20:14 2002

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> On 2002.03.27 22:29 pat_at_cart-server.purdueriots.com wrote:
>
> > Is there a version of VMS or Ultrix that'll work?
> VMS, of course!
> No Ultrix, but OSF/1 aka DEC UNIX aka Tru64 UNIX. It is MACH based, has
> many SysV features but it smells and feels very BSDish. That is the
> reason why I like it. ;-)

I said that before I realized this wasn't a DECstation, and didn't use a
MIPS cpu.

> > Also, I didn't get a keyboard
> > with it and didn't see one there. What kind of keyboard does it use,
> You need a special break out cable like on the DECstation 5000 2{0,4,6}0
> machines. It has a 15 pin D shell connector on one side and a litle box
> on the other. Keyboard (any DEC LK{2,4}01) and Mouse (DEC VSXXX) are
> connected to this box.

Does anyone have the pinout for this? Or even better, does anyone have a
pinout for both this and a Framebuffer Console cable that works with a
VAXstation 3200 and 4-plane mono framebuffer- a BC18P? OR should I just
try to plug it in? I want to get some sort of confirmation that it won't
blow up my keyboard or DEC3000 first.

> > can I use a serial terminal instead?
> Flip S3 on the back to force the machine to serial console. Have a look
> at ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/dec-docs/index.html#alpha-sys-dec3000
> --

Which serial port should I use? The DB25-P or the MMJ jack?

-- Pat