FYI: Yahoo Mail Account info Alert. (fwd)

From: Doc Shipley <doc_at_mdrconsult.com>
Date: Sat Mar 30 00:44:30 2002

  I know a lot of y'all use Yahoo Mail....

FYI to those who use Yahoo Mail.

March 29 - Tired of spam you're getting at your free Yahoo! e-mail
account? Get ready for more. Tucked inside a privacy policy change
the company made this week was notice that more Yahoo! e-mail
marketing offers were coming "even if users had formerly indicated
they were unwanted. YAHOO! GRANTED ITSELF PERMISSION to spam by
creating a new "marketing preferences" page that lets users
pick "yes or no" to specific categories of marketing pitches. The
problem is, Yahoo! set every users' option to "yes" - even if long
ago, they indicated they never wanted any Yahoo! spam.

Users who don't want marketing offers from Yahoo have 60
days to do the following: Visit the user profile preferences page at
http://edit.my.yahoo.com/config/eval_profile select "Edit your
marketing preferences" from within the Member Information section;
and individually change selections in a series of marketing
categories from "yes" to "no."

In e-mail marketing lingo, the process is known as "opt-out."
But even performing that slightly cumbersome operation is no
guarantee that Yahoo! marketing offers won't come, since the firm
reserves the right to add marketing categories at any time.

"I'd suggest re-checking periodically," writes another
mailing list poster.