Dumpster Diving Goodies

From: Robert F. Schaefer <rschaefe_at_gcfn.org>
Date: Sat Mar 1 11:59:00 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "chris" <cb_at_mythtech.net>
To: "Classic Computers" <cctalk_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 12:18 AM
Subject: Dumpster Diving Goodies

> Its amazing what some people throw out.
>
> I just got back from a bit of dumpster diving. I pulled from a sizable
> bin:
>
> Some various Digital parts and cables consisting of at least: a dot
> matrix looking printer, a "Remote Services Console Unit" (whatever that
> is, looks like maybe a terminal switch box), a A/B switch box, looks like
> maybe for printers. It has a plastic key taped to the top, that I am
> guessing goes to the actual DEC CPU, but I wasn't able to find that. A

This is just what it says it is. A remote services console unit. It goes
between the console VT and the VAX, and a modem gets plugged in to one of
the ports. The key taped on top lets the VAX be switched from the VT to the
modem, thus allowing DEC access to the computer. What color is the key?
There was some discussion here a few weeks back about 'em. FYI, I don't
know if these things were supplied with anything smaller than a VAX 6000--
at least that's the only one I've ever heard them being attached to.

Also, I have one that I have no use for, if anyone wants it. I've heard
they run some kind of sync DECnet on the modem side.

> -chris

Bob