making disk images

From: Fred N. van Kempen <waltje_at_pdp11.nl>
Date: Mon Mar 3 13:23:00 2003

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Robert F. Schaefer wrote:

> > Hard drives are cheap.
They are here, too... under 200MB, anything is about a dollar
or a euro :)

> Errr, here in O-hi-a the XT clones start at about $50 and go
> up from there,
Damn! Remind me to stash my suitcases with old hardware next
week, when I fly back to California! They sell P2/450 machines
(complete machines, not just the mb) for EUR 99 here :)

Regarding a solution: yes, I agree sticking in some network card
and dd'ing it off to an NFS or Samba box makes sense... that is
how I did a lot of that stuff.

A friend of mine (Robert Stockmann) made a toolkit that basically
allows you to do this - its'called the Crash Recovery Kit (CRK),
and its based on Linux. See www.crashrecovery.org for info,
or email him at stock_at_stokkie.net. Its also running with
diskettes, so your old peasees dont need to have a CDROM.

Cheers,
        Fred