making disk images

From: Robert F. Schaefer <rschaefe_at_gcfn.org>
Date: Mon Mar 3 20:14:00 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred N. van Kempen" <waltje_at_pdp11.nl>
To: <cctalk_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2003 2:19 PM
Subject: Re: making disk images

> On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Robert F. Schaefer wrote:
>
> > Errr, here in O-hi-a the XT clones start at about $50 and go
> > up from there,
> Damn! Remind me to stash my suitcases with old hardware next
> week, when I fly back to California! They sell P2/450 machines
> (complete machines, not just the mb) for EUR 99 here :)

It's only in Ohio. I nearly cry whenever someone from Texas starts talking
about what they picked up off the curb-- it's generally better than the
stuff I can buy around here. D_at_mn the Salvation Army and VOA-- they're out
to make a profit around here.

> Regarding a solution: yes, I agree sticking in some network card
> and dd'ing it off to an NFS or Samba box makes sense... that is
> how I did a lot of that stuff.
>
> A friend of mine (Robert Stockmann) made a toolkit that basically
> allows you to do this - its'called the Crash Recovery Kit (CRK),
> and its based on Linux. See www.crashrecovery.org for info,
> or email him at stock_at_stokkie.net. Its also running with
> diskettes, so your old peasees dont need to have a CDROM.

This looks close, I want to try and get it down to a single disk if I can.

> Cheers,
> Fred

Bob