Mark-8 Minicomputer Kit on E-bay

From: Ethan Dicks <erd_6502_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Mar 6 08:53:00 2003

--- Bryan Blackburn <oldcomp_at_cox.net> wrote:
> It is most definitely a reproduction. It was made by Steve, AKA
> "obtronix". I've been watching him sell the exact same package on epay
> for a couple years now.

What's a typical price? I have been semi-interested in making one.
The only odd part I have would be an 8008 borrowed from a Unibus
console board (I have a few spare defective boards sets from Software
Results - turning machines on and off dozens of times per day to
insert and remove product under test is hell on equipment. Naturally,
DEC Field Service would not cover equipment under such use, at least
not affordably). The oldest SRAMs I have are 2101s; I have never
even seen a 1101 close up, so I guess I'd need the whole enchilada
when it comes to "odd parts".

BTW, is there still a source for the old-style strip sockets? I'm
sure that machined pins are a "better choice", but I was curious if
it was still possible to get period mountings. (what I tend to do
if I need to see under sockets for stuff I'm building is to scavenge
individual machine pins from busted sockets and attach them under
a pristine socket and solder them in place - not necessarily as
mechanically stable, but at least you can see the traces).

-ethan