Apple IIgs

From: Ethan Dicks <erd_6502_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Mar 6 09:19:00 2003

--- Ian Primus <ian_primus_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> A general rule of thumb is - Apple 3.5's first, then Unidisk 3.5, then
> 5 1/4.

When you make a distinction between "Apple 3.5" and "Unidisk 3.5", I'm
not certain I understand. Is there a difference between older, beige
19-pin Apple-manufactured disk drives and "newer", "platinum" external
disk drives? If so, that may explain why I have a short stack of drives
that never worked with a Mac Plus (I used to help my mother out with
her all-Mac typesetting shop - when she closed in 1997, her primo
machine was a 4MB SE w/18MB disk drive).

So... at a signal/component level, what's the difference? Just a
different mechanism with different characteristics, or is there a
content difference between the end of the drive and the end of the
cable?

-ethan

(this is somewhat relevant - I have a couple of IIgs models, ROM 0 and,
IIRC, ROM 3, as well as plenty of II+ and one IIc + one IIc+. I'm
no longer sure what I can attach to what).