collecting silicon wafers

From: Ethan Dicks <erd_6502_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Mar 11 15:21:01 2003

--- Philip Pemberton <philpem_at_dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> I'd love to have a look at a wafer covered in ICs under a microscope.

Me, too, but I haven't seen any of the 4" or older wafers for sale. I
have seen 8" wafers here and there.

> I've got a nice little SLR and it shouldn't be too hard to track down a
> bit of brass tubing to build a light-tight spacer to get it onto the
> microscope.

I picked up a ring for my Konica SLR called a "T-mount adapter" - one
face fits my camera as if it were a lens, the other is a standard set
of threads that fits a variety of devices. On the Ice, we had a
microscope with a light gate - flipped one way, you saw the specimen
under the objective; flipped the other way, the view switched to the
T-mount on the front - made microphotography easy. Personally, I got
my adapter for astrophotography - they make T-mount adapters for amateur
telescopes. The difference here is that with an SLR, you just mount it
on the end of your telescope and leave it there... just squeeze the
shutter bulb and hold it for as long as you need (I've had good results
with wide-field astrophotography (no telescope, just a regular lens)
with ASA 400 film and 45-120 seconds of exposure (aurorae, The Milky Way,
etc.).

-ethan