Intel 4004 was: New To List and PDP8 Question

From: Bill Kotaska <bkotaska_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue Mar 11 22:21:00 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dwight K. Elvey" <dwightk.elvey_at_amd.com>
To: <cctalk_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 11:26 AM
Subject: Intel 4004 was: New To List and PDP8 Question

> I have a SIM4 but mine doesn't have the nice LCD read out that
> yours has. I wrote an assembler as well. Mine is single pass
> but I can still do forward references by having the lables self
> resolve them selves as their location is assigned. I also have
> a simualtor that I wrote. It is built around the SIM4 board.

Wow Dwight, a real SIM4. Is it the -01 or -02. I think the main difference
was the number of PROMs it would hold. Do you also have the box with the
mating connectors? I think it was used to interface the SIM4 to another
board for programming 1702s. Oh what THESE would fetch on eBay. All joking
aside, I hope you wouldn't do that. I know I couldn't.

> Most 4004 systems have a lot of hardware dependencies since
> not all used things like the 4002's for RAMs or the normal
> I/O methods.

I toyed with the idea of making a SIM4 clone but I would have had to do too
many part substitutions. It wouldn't have been much of a clone. And I still
wouldn't have been able to execute out of RAM.
Right?

Bill