Mark-8 Minicomputer Kit on E-bay

From: Erik S. Klein <classiccmp_at_vintage-computer.com>
Date: Wed Mar 12 11:07:00 2003

> I was under the impression (based on previous classiccmp discussions)
that
> the only way to get the bare boards was to use the plans supplied in
> <whichever magazine it was> to etch your own. So how would you define
> original?

In 1974 you could order the "kit" from Radio Electronics (actually from
Jon Titus) which consisted of the bare boards, a parts list and some
brief instructions on how to turn it all into a computer. The article
in RE was descriptive but not enough so that you could build a computer
from that and the board layouts.

A machine built using those original boards would be "original" and one
built using the identical, but newer, reproduction boards is not
original (although it would be just as much fun). Anyone selling the
latter as the former is perpetrating a fraud.

Erik S. Klein
www.vintage-computer.com