Can one make their own chips?

From: Innfogra_at_aol.com <(Innfogra_at_aol.com)>
Date: Wed Mar 12 12:18:16 2003

> you can't make a 8008 chip from scratch

In the discussion of wafers it made me wonder if one could lay down their own
design in Silicon. or duplicate an early design like the 8008 (lets not get
into a discussion of copyrights).

Does anyone collect FAB equipment? A small clean room would not be hard to
set up. At one time I saw a 3 inch mask aligner go for $25. I bought the 4
inch Mask Aligner for $150. There is so much old FAB Equipment around it
seems one should be able to set up a home lab. Does anyone know of one in
existence?

Paxton
Astoria, OR