Can one make their own chips?

From: TeoZ <teoz_at_neo.rr.com>
Date: Wed Mar 12 13:28:01 2003

You mean a real working lab?

Even if you could legally get all the chemicals to do all the chemical
baths, there is no way you could get the permit to do it in your house.
Diffusion ovens would be a pain, along with power requirements, ultrapure
water + heater, etc. Even if you could make the chip on a wafer (and all
your equipment has to be for that size wafer), you still need the equipment
to turn the silicon into a chip like the chip cutting machine, plastic
encapolating stuff, and the gold wiring interconnects to the outside pins.
Getting all this into a class 100 cleanroom with associated hepa filters and
climate control would be interesting, that and what would you do with the
waste products?

Would be cheaper to have a design made at some chip foundry