George Bush owns a Mark-8 Minicomputer Kit

From: Hans Franke <Hans.Franke_at_mch20.sbs.de>
Date: Thu Mar 13 03:28:00 2003

> > I wouldn't consider it "original" because it is missing one crucial
> > element: this is not 1974.

> So you are a little slow in finishing huh. :)
> Lets say I homebrewed a computer using a 8008 rather than the Mark-8,
> in 1975, and put it on e-bay today. Just because it is not as well
> know as the Mark 8 , does this make it less of a collectors item
> since it too is a 'original item'?

This is one if the mysteries of the classic computer market.
In my eyes, such a computer would even be more valueable than
a Mark-8, since it shows some of the open ends of evolution.

The hype about names has often be an issue on the list, though
I still miss a satisfying conclusion. One of the KIMs I own is
eventualy the best example. It's serial numer 0001, which makes
it, by any mean, THE first 6502 computer at all, and probably
the first 6502 CPU - as far as this can go. Most definitly, this
baby might fetch a god pirce (that is _IF_ i would ever sell it),
still I doubt that it will go over what an Apple 1 can make.

Even considering the outstanding historic relevance (beside that
to me a KIM is still way more cool than an Apple), and that even
KIMs get to be somewhat higher prices, the whole thing is in no
way understandable.

My only conclusion is that people pay for hyped up names (see
the ridiculous for turnkey IMSAI/Altairs), and not historic
value - they just belive that the hype has so real background.

> ALSO lets not talk about GEORGE, I am tired all this beating around the
> Bush.!!

I guess that's the problem... Nobody tries to beat him personaly ...
SCNR

Gruss
H.

--
VCF Europa 4.0 am 03./04. Mai 2003 in Muenchen
http://www.vcfe.org/