MS DOS and disk drives maybe OT

From: Paul Berger <sanepsycho_at_globaldialog.com>
Date: Fri Mar 14 07:46:00 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 03:15, Rob O'Donnell wrote:
> This is pretty typical of MS-DOS; it has a 504Mb limit. There are a number
> of "disk managers" available that (typically) boot up before DOS, and fool
> it. One popular tool was "ontrack", which many mfrs supplied customised
> for just their own drives.

MS-DOS 6.22 will support drives upto 8.4gb, I don't know about any prior
versions though. Usually the BIOS that causes the 512MB limit in my
experience, so you may want to look into a bios upgrade.

Freedos http://www.freedos.org/ will support drives upto 128GB and is
mostly MS-DOS 6.22 compatible.

> There are a number of tools linked from
> here: http://www.vobis.de/bbs/firmen/wd/hrddrive/
> I've used ezdrive9 in the past with WD discs with success.

Same here because the bios did not support my 850MB disk and ezdrive
came with the drive.

Regards,
Paul