Penske is our friend!

From: Gunther Schadow <gunther_at_aurora.regenstrief.org>
Date: Sun Mar 16 20:27:00 2003

William Donzelli wrote:
> I'll retract the EIN comment, because a non-incorporated entity can still
> get business rates - if it is for a legitimate business use. An
> individual posing as a business with the sole intention to get some sort
> of perk (business rates on truck rentals, for example) is fraudulent.
> Going out and fetching big computers for a personal collection is not
> business.

Hmm, your notion of "fraudulent" sounds kind of harsh. I may not
have the same knowledge background in this business that you have. I
don't want to be a crook here so if you think I'm wrong, please help.

They have two rate schedules, the private one being more than
twice as much per mile than the business rate. Why is that so?

Why should someone who carries those computers away for a profit
pay only half as much as one who carry these things away for the
fun of it?

If I part the computers out and sell everything on ebay or, worse,
for gold and scrap value, would that make me eligible for the
business rate?

Who am I hurting by saying that I want the business rate and
telling them the truth about what I do?

> It has also been pointed out that it changes the liability and insurance
> coverages quite dramatically on both sides of the deal - you and Penske.
> Don't get into any accidents.

I paid on a personal credit card and had a personal contract and
bought the LDW for $15/d, so I think I was clear on that end.

As a conclusion let's put is this way: when asked the question if
I am private or business I simply don't accept the fact that I
should be paying twice as much if I answer a certain way. So I
negociate a better rate without really lying about anything.
So, I am just sharing with you the experience that there is
opportunity for us to negotiate. And that I think that Penske is
the best shop for our trucking needs. Still think I'm committing
fraud? If so, please explain.

thanks,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow_at_regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine