Penske is our friend!

From: William Donzelli <aw288_at_osfn.org>
Date: Sun Mar 16 20:53:01 2003

> Hmm, your notion of "fraudulent" sounds kind of harsh. I may not
> have the same knowledge background in this business that you have. I
> don't want to be a crook here so if you think I'm wrong, please help.

OK, I am sorry if I was a bit harsh.

> They have two rate schedules, the private one being more than
> twice as much per mile than the business rate. Why is that so?

When I started getting trucks for business, I asked why as well. From
what I was told by the Ryder agent, it is an insurance issue. The
insurance companies make deals with the rental firms. One of the aspects
of these deals is that there is a far greater risk of
truck/person/property damage if the driver is using the truck for
personal reasons. I suppose they figure that when the trucks are used for
business use, chances are the guy driving it has more experience. I can
see their point - driving a 24 foot straight, full of stuff, can be a
handful, and I have certainly seen some individuals that probably should
not have tried it! If you are renting for business, chances are you have
rented before. Remember, the insurance business is all about probablities
and statistics.

> Why should someone who carries those computers away for a profit
> pay only half as much as one who carry these things away for the
> fun of it?

The easy way to get around this is to form an organization.

> If I part the computers out and sell everything on ebay or, worse,
> for gold and scrap value, would that make me eligible for the
> business rate?

Yes.

> Who am I hurting by saying that I want the business rate and
> telling them the truth about what I do?

The insurance companies. OK, they might deserve it, but it still is not
right to cheat them.

> As a conclusion let's put is this way: when asked the question if
> I am private or business I simply don't accept the fact that I
> should be paying twice as much if I answer a certain way. So I
> negociate a better rate without really lying about anything.
> So, I am just sharing with you the experience that there is
> opportunity for us to negotiate. And that I think that Penske is
> the best shop for our trucking needs. Still think I'm committing
> fraud? If so, please explain.

It is all a "letter of the law" over "spirit of the law" issue.

William Donzelli
aw288_at_osfn.org