An organization (was: Re: Penske is our friend!

From: William Donzelli <aw288_at_osfn.org>
Date: Mon Mar 17 00:07:00 2003

> Right. That's what I brought up about 2 years ago when I first
> joined this list. I believe as an organization we could even
> get some sort of recognition with Penske as a "partner". For now
> I am using the "Classic Computer Rescue Squad" as the organization.

Get together a group of guys and incorporate as a non-profit. At the
state level, it is incredibly easy to do (at the federal level, much hoop
jumping needs to be done). Cheap, too. Problem solved.

> This insurance thing is not so clear to me since you are not
> really insured anyway. I gathered something of a cap of $50000
> liability limitation of the customer, that's an insurance with
> $50000 deductible! That can't be so expensive. That's why I have
> taken out the LDW insurance for $15 extra. If a zero-deductible
> insurance in the amount of $50000 is available for $15 a day, the
> risk can't be that high (1 per 3000 customer days). Even if they
> didn't have this 50000 cap, I'd much rather take out a fair
> insurance and pay what's right than to be ripped off just because
> I don't belong to some insider market.

It has nothing to do with the insurance deals between the rental company
and the renters (like you). It has to do with the rental company and the
insurance company. When a truck breaks, for example, Penske files a claim
and the insurance company pays it out. Except in extreme circumstances,
the insurance company does not care who busted the truck, or who was
driving. They just know that individuals break the trucks more often than
businesses, so the insurance companies have to figure this in. It is
really no different than the reason 18 year old drivers have to pay thru
the nose for insurance and a 40 year old doesn't.

William Donzelli
aw288_at_osfn.org