An organization (was: Re: Penske is our friend!

From: Gunther Schadow <gunther_at_aurora.regenstrief.org>
Date: Sun Mar 16 23:52:01 2003

William Donzelli wrote:
>>Why should someone who carries those computers away for a profit
>>pay only half as much as one who carry these things away for the
>>fun of it?
>
> The easy way to get around this is to form an organization.

Right. That's what I brought up about 2 years ago when I first
joined this list. I believe as an organization we could even
get some sort of recognition with Penske as a "partner". For now
I am using the "Classic Computer Rescue Squad" as the organization.

It's not incorporated or anything, but ... to come back to the
original topic, I still don't understand how claiming business
rate would be unlawful. I am still thankful for any chapter and
verse where one can look that up.

To me the business rate issue is still largely an arbitrary
inequality where private people are being milked because they
don't know any better.

This insurance thing is not so clear to me since you are not
really insured anyway. I gathered something of a cap of $50000
liability limitation of the customer, that's an insurance with
$50000 deductible! That can't be so expensive. That's why I have
taken out the LDW insurance for $15 extra. If a zero-deductible
insurance in the amount of $50000 is available for $15 a day, the
risk can't be that high (1 per 3000 customer days). Even if they
didn't have this 50000 cap, I'd much rather take out a fair
insurance and pay what's right than to be ripped off just because
I don't belong to some insider market.

But the good news of the story (only slightly clouded by the
fraud allegations) is that Penske does tend to not rip you off
if you just talk with them.

cheers,
-Gunther