Tape media

From: John Allain <allain_at_panix.com>
Date: Sun Mar 23 10:11:00 2003

> I have bulk-erased a bunch of TK50 tapes in the hopes that they
> would work as DLT III and IV tapes as well, but these drives
> still went into write-protect mode. Does anyone here know details
> about the DLT media?...

To add a some info. as to a near answer to this question, I was able
to _read_ TK50's into an Alpha with a ~20GB DLT drive (don't recall
the designator) back in 1997 when that drive was nearly new. I don't
believe that the newer drive had any chance of _writing_ reinit format
information (after a bulk erase) onto such a tape.

John A.