486 DOS machines OT yet? Networking on Same?

From: Paul Berger <sanepsycho_at_globaldialog.com>
Date: Sun Mar 30 15:34:00 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-30 at 00:20, Frank McConnell wrote:
> Ron Hudson <rhudson_at_cnonline.net> wrote:
> > Anybody know how to network DOS 6.22?
> >
> > I need a telnet and an FTP. I have an SMC Elite 16C Ultra
> > ethernet card, with the driver diskette.
>
> NCSA Telnet (which includes a DOS command-line FTP client) and the
> packet driver from your driver diskette? This works for me.

The following links will point ya to all sorts for dos networking tools.
http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/
http://www.oldskool.org/~tvdog/internet.html
http://sshdos.sourceforge.net/
http://www.eznos.org/index.html
http://www.ncf.ca/~ag221/resource.html

> > I want it to talk to my Samba equiped Linux Server...
>
> If you want to be able to mount it as a network drive, you are
> probably looking for LAN Manager (as a client) or an MS-DOS NFS client
> (I know there were some commercial offerings, don't know about free).

There was a shareware DOS & Packet Driver NFS client called XFS that was
shareware on the SIMTEL archive. I've never used it so don't know if it
works well with modern NFS implementations.

I've used MS-CLIENT 3.0 to talk to samba & windows 95 windows file
sharing servers and it appears to work quite well. I've used the telnet
& ftp clients in WFW TCP add-on with it and it work for me several years
ago.