Help with question about web page access

From: Roger Merchberger <>
Date: Mon Aug 23 14:39:47 2004

Rumor has it that Tony Duell may have mentioned these words:
> > > Consider paper inter-office mail. If a person is goinf to reply/forward a
> > > printed message, they will often [at least in the old days], type up
> a page
> > > with their information [anyone have a Royal Typewriter handy], and attach
> > > the original [or a copy] BEHIND it......
> >
> > That's because they didn't have computers back then.
>Yes they did. They were the people who operated the calculating machines :-)

Altho I'm certainly no exspurt on the Queen's English, at least as far as
"correct" American English goes, the spelling for the word defined as
"People who are operating the computing machines" would be:


This even holds true for people who stick 2 pieces of metal together with a
hot stick - Welders are the devices used, Weldors are the people running
the devices.

Granted, most people don't use the "correct" terminology anymore, and when
people change the popular use of the word, it changes the word... (else
we'd still be spelling jail as Gaol... ;-) )

Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02 worth of useless trivia...

Roger "Merch" Merchberger

Roger "Merch" Merchberger -- sysadmin, Iceberg Computers
What do you do when Life gives you lemons,
and you don't *like* lemonade?????????????
Received on Mon Aug 23 2004 - 14:39:47 BST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:36:35 BST