Brother Wordprocessor Floppy Disks

From: Ian Viemeister <classiccmp_at_ian.viemeister.com>
Date: Wed Mar 3 18:51:34 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, tim lindner wrote:

> Anyway, all he could tell me is that they were from a Brother word
> processor. It didn't have a model number and no serial port.

I'm not sure about your particular case, but I've seen rather a lot of
word processors with 3.5" double density floppy drives, and folks tending
to use high density floppies in them. Works just fine, of course, but the
result is a DD floppy that has a HD sense hole.

> I tried the disk in my DOS 6.22 PC, no deal.

If I'm right about the above.... the PC drive will see the HD hole and
try (and fail) to read the disk as HD. If you wrap a bit of tape or a
post-it around the HD hole, the PC drive should see it properly as DD.
Most of these machines (that I've seen, anyway) seem to use FAT12, so that
DOS machine should be about to read them just fine.

Good luck.

--Ian