TRS-80 Model 12 crt substitution

From: David V. Corbin <dvcorbin_at_optonline.net>
Date: Thu Mar 4 18:26:33 2004

Actually that depends.......

If the tube is PERFECTLY clean, and the water is distilled, and NO
contaminants have entered from any source then the answer is a resounding
NO!

Of course it is practically impossible to achieve these conditions.....

I (when MUCH younger) did a simple test. Put two electrodes into a container
of distilled water. Measure the current flow.....

Under the best of cirsumstances I was able to get about 3 minutes of
negligable current flow. Then it would rise rapidly until if popped a
breaker, blew a fuse, generated smoke (burning wires), or exploded ( Do NOT
drop a pinch of salt into the water while running this experiment.......)

If fact if you are at all sane, do not attempt this experiment at