AUI cables in UK?

From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri Mar 5 17:05:50 2004

> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Tony Duell wrote:
>
> > Actually, it's a DA15 (the DB15 doesn't exist AFAIK), and normally has the
> > standard slidelock latches.
>
> When you say DA-15, do you mean a connector the same size as that of a
> 9-pin serial cable, or the next size up as on a typical Macintosh display?

DA = the one that's the same size as a Mac video connector (or PC
joystick port).

DE = the one that's the same size as a PC 9 pin serial port

(FWIW, the following exist.

Normal High Density
DE9 DE15
DA15 DA26
DB25 DB44
DC37 DC62
DD50

I beleive other ones have existed for special applications (particularly high
density DC shells with a few more than 62 pins!)

Some typical uses :

DE9 : PC/AT serial port, Apple //e gamess port, PC MDA/CGA/EGA video

DA15 : AUI port, PC Joystick port, Mac video, Beeb analogue port

DB25 : Real RS232 port, PC Centronics port, Mac SCSI port

DC37 : PC ex4ernal floppy connector, Canon CX-VDO interface

DD50 : (old) Sun SCSI port

DE15 : PC VGA video

DA26 : never seen it used

DB44 : Ditto

DC62 : PC Expansion chassis connector

THey're used for plenty of other things, so please don't moan that I've
not mentioned your favourite machine there (I suspect if I said things
like 'DA15 : PERQ video sync/keboard/mouse signals, it would help
nobody). I am trying to mention machines that you're likely to have seen.

I';ve also seen DF19 (Atari ST DMA port?) and DG23 (Amiga video
connector) refered to as such, but I am not sure those are official.

> If they are both referred to as DA, why? If not, what is the proper
> designation (since DB is the typical 25-pin shell size)?

The letter gives the shell size.

-tony