Wrong formula? Re: [OT] Dodgy electrolytic in 3COM hub

From: Joe R. <rigdonj_at_cfl.rr.com>
Date: Tue Mar 16 10:04:33 2004

At 07:07 AM 3/16/04 -0800, Gene wrote:
>> I've got a Gigabyte motherboard from the same period with the issue ...
>> three caps on the board are bulging or split on top. I bought three of
>> the same model boards at the same time and only one of them have had
>> that happen.
>>
>The cap failure is due to a formulation error. The formua was stolen
>from a competeing cap mfr, and they got it just a little bit wrong. There
>was a big write up about this when it was first discovered.

   I haven't heard about that. Do you have a link to the write up? I did
hear about a lot of faulty caps due to a supplier that sold bad batch of
electrolyte to a lot of the cap manufacturers. What formula do you need
for caps? AFIK it's just a matter of buying them for the applicable
voltage. Yes there are formulas for capacitanace to achive the necesssary
filtering but the wrong results there won't cause them to burst.

    Joe