Looking for a device programmer that doesn't require Weendoze

From: Michael Sokolov <msokolov_at_ivan.Harhan.ORG>
Date: Sat Mar 20 15:31:28 2004

Does anyone know where I can get a device (EPROM, flash, etc) programmer that
doesn't require Weendoze? I can use any OS in the Universe (UNIX, Linux, DOS,
etc) except Weendoze, and I need a device programmer that can program a
reasonable set of devices. My most immediate need is to program 3.3V flash
devices in PLCC32 package. Needham's Electronics has nice programmers for a
reasonable price, but they all have "Weendoze required" in the fine print. I
once had a chance to borrow a BP Microsystems BP-1200 and it worked with my DOS
machine (using the original IBM PC/AT unidirectional parallel/serial port card
no less!). I called BP Micro and asked them about their current offerings.
They offered me their cheapest current programmer, BP-1400 and told me that if
BP-1200 worked on my machine then BP-1400 would work too. Then I asked for the
price. They told me that the cheapest 84 pins max version of BP-1400, their
cheapest product, sells for $2000. Add another few hundred for the PLCC32
socket module, or another $1000+ if I want a generic PLCC module for more than
one pin count. Is there anything cheaper available for non-Weendoze users?

MS