Electronic components sources

From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon Mar 22 18:37:50 2004

> >>>>> "Mark" == Mark Tapley <mtapley_at_swri.edu> writes:
> Mark> Erik Klein wrote:
> >> ...The other item I have is a DEC Rainbow with a busted power
> >> switch. The switch a fairly typical wide rocker style in gray
> >> plastic with a 1 and a 0 printed on it. Again, I can replace it
> >> but I'd like a "correct" part if anyone has a source, part number
> >> or spare.
> Mark> This is a reasonably common failure - mine has the same problem
> Mark> (replaced by two SPST's side-by-side which I take pains to
> Mark> throw simultaneously) and I've read of at least one other

Has anybody tried taking the original switch apart and cleaning the
contacts (if that's the failure mode)? I'vc repaired switches in other
equipment that way.

> Mark> (years ago, on this list). When/if they are found, please post
> Mark> on the list - I'll definitely want one too.
> In the US, just one SPST should suffice, if it's in the live wire.
> You need DPST switches in much of Europe because there you find
> unpolarized outlets.

However, a DPST (breaks both live and neutral) is safer IMHO. In the UK
we have poilarised mains sockets, but I still always fit double-pole
switches in stuff I've designed myself, just in case the socket is wired
backwards, or whatever.

I am also looking for a rocker switch, but a much smaller one. It's the
type used in the HP98x0 calculators (and also the 9885 disk drive, 9877
tape drive, 9866 printer, and doubtless many other devices). It's DPDT
and has 2 miunting lugs for 4-40 screws. I can provide dimensions if
anyone thinks they know a supplier.

Received on Mon Mar 22 2004 - 18:37:50 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:37:05 BST