replacing +15v regulator on BA-11?

From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu Mar 25 17:33:57 2004

> And it was as you stated. I swapped one from my "extra" BA and it works
> like a champ. thanks!

Oh for %deity's sake. This thing has only a handful of components. It
probably took you longer to get the 'replacement' out of the other BA11-K
than it would have taken to fix the original thing...

I am not that 'hot' on conservation, but I do believe in replacing as few
parts as possible. And that means changing a capacitor or a 3-terminal
regulator, or whatever, not a PCB. Please don't module-swap classic
computers (this rant has been here before, you won't change my views on
it, I've seen the unpleasant reuslts all too often!).

> I also "tuned" the 785 supply - it was lagging around 13v. I assume
> cranking it up to 15 is the right thing to do.

Yes, if the reason for it being low was that you'd added extra loads. No,
if the reason for it being low was component failure in the -15V brick.

Asjustments rarely, if ever, drift. If some voltage is out of spec then
there's a reason. If it's something you did -- like adding an extra load
-- then yes, you use the adjustment. But if it's just gone down while the
machine is in use, you need to find out why. A dried up capacitor in the
brick probably.

-tony