Comparing existence of massive number of files

From: Paul Koning <pkoning_at_equallogic.com>
Date: Tue Mar 30 08:09:28 2004

 Richard> Hello, all: I just moved most of my collection of on-line
 Richard> data to a new server here at home. I want to verify that all
 Richard> files have been copied and I didn't miss any
 Richard> directories/subdirectories. Basically I did it through a
 Richard> drag-and-drop across the network.

 Richard> What's the best way to do this? The OS is Windows NT
 Richard> (Server) and I'm looking at about 22gb of files of various
 Richard> types -- from music to source code.

 Richard> Any ideas? I still have the original server on standby for
 Richard> this verification before I wipe it clean for sale.

Boot Linux, ls -lR on the Windows file system at each end, diff the
listings.

If you're paranoid, do a cksum on the files instead, and compare those
listings. That will verify not just the existence but the content as
well.

      paul