Why are transistors called "Q"?

From: Paul Koning <pkoning_at_equallogic.com>
Date: Sun Feb 27 15:42:04 2005

>>>>> "Tony" == Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk> writes:

>> "T" was taken (Transformer). That was also a problem when tubes
>> began being used. I think they use X for tubes, don't they?

 Tony> Normally 'V' Certainly in UK manuals -- we call them 'valves',
 Tony> but HP and Tekky also use 'V'.

Tubes are definitely V, in the USA too. X is a quartz crystal.

I'm trying to remember where I saw CR for semiconductor diodes....

Received on Sun Feb 27 2005 - 15:42:04 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:37:41 BST