Why are transistors called "Q"?

From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun Feb 27 16:11:33 2005

> Tubes are definitely V, in the USA too. X is a quartz crystal.

I've seen 'Y' used for crystals too.

> I'm trying to remember where I saw CR for semiconductor diodes....

CR (Crystal Rectifier) and MR (Metal Rectifier) were not uncommon for
semiconductor diodes at one time. Solartron certainly used that designation.

Received on Sun Feb 27 2005 - 16:11:33 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:37:41 BST