Why are transistors called "Q"?

From: Joe R. <rigdonj_at_cfl.rr.com>
Date: Sun Feb 27 20:15:35 2005

At 04:42 PM 2/27/05 -0500, Paul wrote:
>>>>>> "Tony" == Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk> writes:
> >> "T" was taken (Transformer). That was also a problem when tubes
> >> began being used. I think they use X for tubes, don't they?
> Tony> Normally 'V' Certainly in UK manuals -- we call them 'valves',
> Tony> but HP and Tekky also use 'V'.
>Tubes are definitely V, in the USA too. X is a quartz crystal.
>I'm trying to remember where I saw CR for semiconductor diodes....

   I was told that CR states for Crystal Rectifier and I've seen it used in
a lot of old military electronics.

Received on Sun Feb 27 2005 - 20:15:35 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:37:41 BST