Vector 3 info needed

From: Marvin <marvin_at_rain.org>
Date: Mon Mar 2 19:52:26 1998

Russ Blakeman wrote:

> Marvin wrote:
>
> > haven't used them for anything but curiositys. I have no idea at this
> time
> > how common/rare they might be although I rather *suspect* there were
> quite a
> > few made (10s of thousands.)
>
> 10's of thousands in computers is nothing, you know that. When they get in
> the
> millions and billions like the PS, XT and AT they become commonplace. What
> operating

Commonplace is a relative term. With the Lobo Max-80 having a production
total of 5000 computers and the Sol-20 production being 10,000, well, I
think you see what I mean.

> system does the Vector 3 run? Do you have any idea if it was made for a
> specific
> purpose such as a graphics workstation (in black and white)? I'd like to
> know a
> little more about it before I spend the time delving into it more or even
> trying to
> locate a new home for it (heavy beast).

It runs CP/M and was intended as a business machine. Sorry, but I don't
recall much more than that off the top of my head. They are fairly easy to
work on and a friend of mine used his (now mine!) to do quite a bit of
commercial programming.

> The external case is probably the same for ones with or without a hard
> disk but with
> added MFM type cabling. If you have the controller card and cabling
> already then I'm
> sure you could easily add a 506 interface drive.
>
> I appreciate any info you can provide and if you have multiple copies of
> the manuals
> and may want to part with one, let me know.

I do have multiple copies of some manuals, but except for the Vector 4, I am
not sure of the others. When I get a chance to dig back to where they are
stored, I'll take a look and see what I can find.