Processor Technology Sol-20

From: Marvin <marvin_at_rain.org>
Date: Tue Mar 3 20:31:15 1998

Marty wrote:

> Does anybody know what the production numbers were for the Processor
> Technology Sol-20? Also, does anybody know when PT went out of
> business? Was it due to the Persci drives in the Helios II as I've
> been told? A co-worker of mine said the Persci drive heads were

Sam still has the audio masters for the original Vintage Computer Fair where
Lee Felsenstein and (drawing a blank), the former president of Processor
Technology both spoke. The production numbers were 10,000 with
approximately the first 5,000 being produced as kits, and the last 5,000
produced as assembled units. I don't recall the date they went out of
business (1981???) but it will be on the tape. From my recollection of the
talk, the reason they went out of business was more along the lines of bad
business decisions rather than hardware problems.

Interesting sidelight, they had the original prototype at the talk and they
tried to fire it up (it didn't) for the first time in some 25 years or so.