AT&T 6300

From: jpero_at_cgo.wave.ca <(jpero_at_cgo.wave.ca)>
Date: Wed Mar 4 12:46:12 1998

> At 08:25 PM 3/3/98 -0800, you wrote:
> >Joe <rigdonj_at_intellistar.net> wrote:
> >> However they are compatable at the DOS level.
> >
> >Be careful how you use those words. I'd say that about the HP 110 and
> >150. A program written using MS-DOS services only (vs. direct
> >hardware access or BIOS services) stands a good chance of running
> >across both, as well as the IBM PC.

This way, it's certain that gives you VERY POOR performacne and as
other guys have said, most s/w are done by talking directly to low
level hardware either to bios or direct to certain chips for
performance reasons.

Zenith and good xt clones based on any good AMI, Phoenix and Award at
this time passes this. 6300 no way and total pain to work on this
and too few where I'm in this area. Curious: What was that type of
brand and models of those hard drives that failed and why using hard
cards? I thought you can reuse those original controller and use
better hard drive in place of orignals?

Jason D.

> Or at least they're supposed to. But the AT&T is compatable enough that
> it will run IBM DOS, that's a lot more than many of the machines of that
> age will do. The AT&T and Zeniths are the most compatable machines that I
> know of for that time period. AFAIK the AT&T and Zentih are both
> compatable at the BIOS level as well as the DOS level.
>
> Joe

email: jpero_at_cgo.wave.ca
Pero, Jason D.