AT&T 6300

From: Ward Donald Griffiths III <gram_at_cnct.com>
Date: Mon Mar 9 08:47:21 1998

John Ruschmeyer wrote:

> >>The 6300 ran MS-DOS. The 6300+ ran Unix
> >
> > Ward,
> >
> > Are you sure about that? I looked at a 6300+ in a trift store last week
> >and it ran DOS. Or was it possible to erase the UNIX and install DOS only?
>
> More precisely, it could run either AND both.

I guess I should have mentioned that, I just didn't think of it.
Just like I _could_ cripple this machine I type on and run
Windows 95 (or NT), but Linux does what I want.

> To DOS, the 6300+ was more of a fast XT. It had access to extended memory,
> but not in the AT-compatible way.
>
> Where it came into its own, however, was running Unix. Part of the Unix
> install was something called Simultask. This let you run DOS under Unix,
> very nicely.
>
> The closest modern equivalent is Merge under SCO Unix which, I believe, is
> descended from SImultask.

Merge is directly descended from Simultask, which is why I
remembered it as DOSMerge (later OSMerge, then Merge) 1.0. When
I first played with it on a customers machine, SCO had just brought
out VP/ix, which at the time (1989-90) was superior. Things changed
during the next couple of years.
--
Ward Griffiths
Dylan:  How many years must some people exist,