Epson HX-20

From: Cord Coslor <archive_at_navix.net>
Date: Tue Mar 10 09:56:18 1998

Boy, I really am enjoying these discussions of the old Epson laptops. I just
picked up an Epson HX-40 a couple of weeks ago, so this series now has a
special place in my 'interest catagory'. FYI, Sam Ismail, in response to my
post a couple of weeks ago requesting information on these things, said he too
saw an Epson HX-41, and like the one you saw, was attached to a large
machine... a lathe I believe.

Doug or anyone else: do any of you have any of the interchangeable RAM chips
that were used by these. My HX-40 boots up on a chip that has some pharmacy
software on it... used for ordering via modem, etc. I am curious to see what
other stuff was for these things. When I take the chip out, it boot's to
standard CP/M.

Well, all for now...

CORD

Doug Yowza wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Joe wrote:
>
> > I don't have them for sale. They belong to a friend of mine. If he
> > decides to sell one, I'll let you know. Do they need a special tape or
> > will a standard audio tape work in them? What's the expansion unit?
>
> Thanks, Joe, I would like to buy one, so let me know if he sells. I don't
> know much about the HX-20, but I think the expansion unit was memory
> expansion (from 16K to 32K?). I've talked to somebody that used to sell
> these things as a dealer, and he still has the technical reference manual,
> so if we become HX-20 owners, I'll see if I can at least get photocopies
> of the tech ref.
>
> BTW, I saw an Epson HC-41 today. I think the HX-20 and HX-40 were sold in
> Japan as the HC-20 and HC-40 (which was also called the PX-4, I think).
> I've never heard of an HC-41 before today, but it looked sort of like an
> HX-20 except it had chicklet keys and a non-QWERTY layout. It was
> attached by ribbon cable to a rather large machine; the tiny Epson and
> large machine it controlled where being sold as a matched set for $250.
>
> -- Doug

|       Cord G. Coslor    :  archive_at_navix.net      |\
|       Deanna S. Wynn    : deannasue_at_navix.net     | |
| http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/4395 | |
|  PO Box 308 - Peru, NE - 68421 - (402) 872- 3272  | |